Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
I disagree. There are many rules that are not easily enforceable, we can't drop all of them. You can name 100 parts with no specs.

And it's a fallicy to say that "similar weight" is pointless because the car has a min weight. It's pretty clear the intent of the rules is to prevent us all from buying $250 batteries every year. If all we are going to do is weight the car and anything else goes, then things get expensive. I know, you don't have to buy the battery, but if you can, then you must. The rule has a purpose. Making it easier to shed weight simply by paying money is what the rules seeks to prevent. By that argument we'll all be running CF hoods next year.

It's also not true to say you can choose the lightest replacement battery. "...similar amp-hour capacity and weight..." That is an AND, not an OR.

I'm not usually a rule nanny, but the intent and goal of the rule seems clear. Don't make me spend more money just to save weight.
You are right, the rule is an AND. The rule applies to both the amp-hour and weight of the battery. We are focusing on the weight portion here (if you didn't notice). Which is the portion that is unenforceable (since there is no baseline).

Your argument is that it is ok to have this unenforceable rule, because there are lots of others? It doesn't make any sense that an unenforceable rule is making you pay less money. If it is unenforceable, then people are already paying the money you are worrying about.

The rule should be made enforceable or dropped.