I'm just questioning how much gain/difference the wheel size will have on the racing

Doug, While there’s an advantage when looking at just one lap time, where I see the biggest advantage is later in the race especially for cars that have a lot of weight in the front. I also believe some cars would benefit from this more than others. Your MR2 – using R compounds it probably won’t matter too much. When Jake F. began using A compounds in his MR2, I know moving to 6” rims would have hurt that tire approach and may have forced a switch back to R compounds.

Do they feel that they will HAVE to go out and buy new wheel solely because of a size change?

I would not go out and buy new rims because I need to focus on getting seat time. See Greg! J I do know that others would buy them and those who didn’t, just lost a bit in performance competitiveness. When I go back down to the ARRC (if this rule were to happen), I’d absolutely borrow some ITA driver’s 7” wide rims for the event. Basically what Jake said about the spending war.

As a side note personally all the fwd cars would likely only need to upgrade the fronts to 7"inches wide. but i'm sure many would disagree.

Not in terms of on track performance, but in terms of tire management. For fwd cars, once the fronts reach 7 / 8 cycles, they just go on the rear. Having a mix of rims complicates this or forces unmounting, mounting ($).

Roger, where do you typically race? Without getting into a debate with them, take a few minutes to ask the ITB drivers at next event how they'd feel about allowing 7" rims.