Thread: rollcage mounting area limitations?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

***I think we can all agree that on most chassis', the "floor" is not the best place to mount a main hoop***

No, I'll take my three sided boxed floor/rocker panel/lower vertival package shelf wall.

***In a SM there is WAY more structure on the package shelf than the floor.***

In your humble judgement. I have no facts to back a statement like that ^ up.

***regardless of generic pics that are used to illustrate typical cages in everything from a SM to a GT car.***

I believe a protest of a package shelf mounted main hoop would be found illegal because IMHJ the pictures are an equal part of the GCR rules as the words are. There is nothing within the words that trumps the pictures of the floor mounted main hoop.

***That 6'6" driver needs the hoop mounted to the package shelf so that their helmet isn't under the main hoop (which IIRC is one of your favorite issues correct??? ).***

I'm 100% in agreement the driver belongs within the five planes of the roll cage with the floor being the sixth plane. Package shelf mounted main hoop, not. IIRC there is a Spec Miata from Iowa that received a notation in his log book with reference to his package shelf mounted main hoop. I need to see him at the track & see how he resolved the log book issue.

Had the 600 not been rain delayed again I wouldn't have had time to get back to the pc.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

The "official" notes from SCCA , is that the pics are for reference, "the words are the rule." (J Baurer)?
    I sent a note about my SM , with crossed main hoop braces. They are at least as strong as the straight braces and make a lot more sense for the Miata, passing through a better part of the rear wall, not through the trunk hinge area. "Many recent builds have crossed rear bar braces."
    The floor only mounts are by far the weakest(especially if welded 360*), the rocker box/floor/sill is the best.
    The pics are just suggestions. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/