Thread: ITC Super Beetle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

From looking at specs I've only seen discs on Euro spec Supers and regular Beetles. So I went with what I could find

The car was bought a year ago for my winter driver, life changes put it on the back burner and me looking at it longingly. I then went through winter riding all but about a week total and realized what the heck do I need a "winter vehicle" for? I had been trolling on Superbeetles only the whole time, reading about what people were doing and such. Took my bike (2007 Buell STT) to Sears Point Raceway last November and ended up ditching it on the back stretch. When I came home from the hospital (two broke ribs and a banged up shoulder smarter) the first thing I saw was the poor Super staring at me blankly with no headlights. I scratched my head, grinned and started reading up on racing and where the old bugger would fit.

I love the fact that just about everyone knows a Beetle of either flavor on sight and the stories I get at work when I tell people what I'm doing with it are why I think I'm loving it this much before it's even gotten the motor in. Dude, its a bug!

Anywho, I'm keeping the GCR close and in my dreams so It's no Herbie but.... he was a show off anyways.

Love It!!!!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Wow...I have to hand it to you. You are choosing a most character filled car, yet one that will present you with perhaps the steepest of uphill battles for the class. Perhaps only a Renault would have been steeper!

Yea, I also ran the numbers on the weight. uggg. F1 cars are heavier, LOL. And the irony is that there's not much to legally strip off of a Super Beetle!

Good luck. Those Datsun 510s out there are pretty stout.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

There is a lot of HP potential in there. Most of it free. Aircooled cars are going to take cover IT.

Blake Meredith
    ITB 914
    Aircooled Technology
    GoTronix.com

I'm sure with some fiddling it will breathe better, but I was looking at the economical side. Beetles of any flavor are just durn cheap to get a start in. I mean they are the original import tuners anyways parts literally are everywhere and just doing homework has saved me many mistakes.

I figure I'd just like people to be able to say hey I can do that. I mean screaming around a track in any car is still screaming around a track.

Sweet. I have had one of these. Loved it.

There is a LOT of tar on those. Do you have a friend that can get a hold of a blaster?

Too bad coil overs are out of the question, you could convert the rear to this:

It will be a fun project. Jealous on the cost of parts =)

D
    Derek
    #76 ITR Toyota Celica GTS

Oye vaye the tar... I'm just been weedling it down as I go, one reason I started on the front. I've literally gotten only the section cleared in the picture. I keep telling myself it's for the best but geez I hate tar. The interior is losing weight just in the 1/4 of "sound deadedning material" that they used... EVERYWHERE :eek:

Ya I originally was going to run it the coil overs before I decided to go this route.. one more savings

It should do fairly well with some updated torsion bars and a rear sway bar though. Dialing in will take time but heck why not simplify everything.... less things to go boom woohoo