Quote Originally Posted by Duc View Post
First the HAZMAT is NOT true.
Then someone needs to tell the manufacturers. The two places I checked said it wa shipped with a HAZMAT fee when charged.

Also why could someone not just keep a hand held fire extinguisher and have a AFFF system as well. That is still compliant.
The principle?

Cost? It isn't compliant if you also want to enter in production. Between fuel, mileage, food, hotel, leave time, etc. there is a significant cost in towing 4-6 hours to a track. I've got a car that, other than a ridiculous requirement for a fire system and an SFI certified system at that, could be entered in a second race - often at a volume discount. The ability to run that extra set of sessions means I don't need to do the test day (saving 1 day of expenses). Hell, it's twice the track time for the same towing cost.

The danger from fire is significantly over estimated. I've seen and heard of more drivers dieing from heart attacks while racing then who have experienced a fire where they needed the suit, let alone a fire system.

Kee-rist, if they want to save our freaking lives, the requirement should be for a real-time EKG when driving.