Thread: 2009 MARRS Format - speak up now or live with it

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by evanwebb View Post
    Yes, ITB and ITS together works fine. They are pretty well separated by speed, and it has been done before. Its no different than EP and HP running together. However, a GT1 car running 1:20 on slicks has no place running with a 1:30+ ITS car on DOT radials. 8 groups is pointless and unnecessary.
    1. It was done with a different group of ITS drivers.
    2. GT1 cars currently run with DOT cars - AS cars. (see page 470 - http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club%2...20GCR/ASCS.pdf )According to mylaps.com, the differential is in the area of 10-14 seconds compared to the 11-18 seconds that should be the difference between GT1 and ITS.
    3. EP and HP work together because drivers in both classes are aware of what is going on around them. I am also confident that ITB drivers would be aware.
    4. The tail third of the ITS field is lapping 6 to 9 seconds off the ITB pace and it isn't straightline speed that accounts for that difference. I run mid-pack ITB and my lap times are faster than over one-half of the ITS field. It isn't horsepower - it's cornering speeds. ITS will motor away from an ITB car on the straights and hold them up from 5 to the bridge. You'll be hitting ITS ass with your nose coming out of T1. You'll be beating out ITS dents from the side-to-side contact in the carousel. You'll foul your plugs in the esses. You'll be picking your car off the tires in the chute. You'll soil your driving suit as you close up on an ITS car between turn-in and the apex at T10 and you'll do it because you won't be expecting to come on a "faster" car that quickly and you'll have to do it because if you don't, you just FUBARED your race.
    5. I spent 3 years in ITC trying to get past tail-end Charlies (2 years SRX7 and 1 ITB.) with more HP and less cornering speed then the Titanic. There's a reason I went out and bought a B car. The only one thing that's remotely close to watching your race vanish in the distance while you are held up behind a HP-rich/corner-poor car and that's spending 2 laps setting him up for the pass and having him not have the good graces or common sense to not roar past you on the straight.
    6. Our leaders will be on the back 25% of the ITS field in about 4 laps and the ITB race will be completely and totally screwed. The ITS cars will walk away in a straight line, park in the corners holding up the leaders and will do what they did in the ITA/ITR/ITS group. Unless these guys have gotten a hell of alot faster over the winter, ITS has to be with cars that have the HP to motor past them. ITB isn't that class.
    7. IT7 and the two SS classes run lap times right around ours, not slower. With a split start, we'll never see them.

Quote Originally Posted by evanwebb View Post
    8 groups is pointless and unnecessary.
    Are you in favor of more track time? Do you want more racing? If you answer yes, then there is a point and it is required. The quick solution is combining the two open-wheel groups, but that won't happen and nobody wants to open that fecal canister after last year.
    Last edited by jjjanos; 02-06-2009 at 05:37 PM.