Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
Its not fair to pay volunteers in a "club", but the drivers would rather pay a few extra bucks and have paid people if it means keeping racing going.
If you pay 'em, then they aren't volunteers.

A couple of reasons why few go from the paddock to the station and back during the weekend:

1. Attitude - I'm paying to race, not work.
2. Attitude - I'm here to race, not flag.
3. Time - Say you got an 8-group weekend scratch 4 sessions in the AM and PM. 2 sessions before you go out, you're checking pressures/nuts/fluids (if everything went well the last session), 1 before you are out you are changing. You are out. 1 after, you are changing and drinking water like a fish.
4. Competency - as someone who started on corners, I don't want part-time flaggers covering by back. I want someone who knows how to flag - and that takes practice. There are drivers who I would trust with my back and, not surprisingly, they all started on corners.
5. Competency - Driver's who lack situational awareness on track = bad. Flaggers who lack situational awareness = very bad.

That being said, you don't want to pay for flaggers. We couldn't afford the level of competency we get with our current volunteer/contribution system.

Here's a couple of suggestions for encouraging our volunteers:
1. If it's cold - go to the concession stand and buy 5 hot drinks. Take to a group of vols out in the cold.
2. If it's hot - go to the concession stand and buy 5 popsicles or ice cream cones. Take to a group of vols out in the heat.
3. If a vol stops at your paddock spot during the day - offer them a drink.
4. Buy 10-lbs of roasted peanuts and give 'em to a speciality chief. Workers love peanuts.
5. Get your entire race group together and COOK the vols lunch.

Not only does this encourage the vols, but it also means that they will keep their eyes on you when you are on course. Which car are you more likely to go to first? The one driving by a recognizable face or the one driven by an unknown helmet?