Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
Kirk - the good cam was delivered on 85-92 Golfs. That covers the whole spec line. Yes it was on the 'good' high compression motor that everyone uses. No it won't flow as well as your head and cam

edit - but actually yes. The heads valves and springs are the same (maybe some early small valve low compression cars). As are crank, rods, etc. The low compression motors obviously have different pistons, but also the less liked cam. Heck from 89-92 all the 8v cars got the good motor anyway AFAIK. Not nearly as much change in the A2s as later chassis from VW. Injeciton type, exhaust manifolds, oil cooler and compression sums up about all the changes there were.
Thanks for the technical info. It's nice that you can have the compromises fall in the direction you want.

With the MkIII's we basically have the choice of the "strong" motor (OBDI) or the "(potentially) fast" motor (OBDII) - just looking at the hardware for the topic of this conversation. Pablo I was an OBDII car. For Pablo II, with the full engine build, we went with the "strong" one (e.g., forged crank, piston oil squirters, but not the better valves springs of the later ones) knowing it would be an enduro car. I'm fuzzy on this because we couldn't even think of taking advantage of it but I THINK that the only different cams (don't know from "better") were in OBDII cars... ?

I'm pretty sure that by now Cameron's come to the conclusion that I was overly cautious, and that the later crank, being something like three pounds lighter, might help make more ponies and *probably* still won't break.

K