We tow with a 2008 F450 Dualie 2wd 6.4L twin turbo diesel.....sure we tow a 18,000 lb 40 ft gooseneck trailer usually full ( no more than 16,000 lb loaded) which is more than most with a race car, but I like the fact of having "too much power" rather than at the limit or close to it. I would look for a F250 with a 7.3 diesel 4wd with the towing package (this makes a difference) and an 8 ft bed. You can't kill the 7.3L motor, more than enough power to pull even an enclosed 10,000 lb trailer loaded and still have a decent ride when not towing and the advantage of 4wd when the weather gets crappy. On occasion I've used the 4wd drive at the track with the trailer hooked up to pull out of what ever swamp had been created by rain. We have a 97 F250 ext cab 4wd that we've had since new. I used to tow my car on an open aluminum trailer and had a cap put on the truck to protect my tools and such. Never was down on power, could cruise at 65-70 all day and got pretty good gas mileage towing (14-16 mpg).