Thread: So about these Pony Cars for ITR...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    It is not about whether it is German or American. I feel that the V8 cars already have a place to play so why change things.
    Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    ITE!?! Where the biggest wallet wins? For a guy that wants to race in a reasonable prep level multi marque class, that's a bad solution. Again, IT is about the ruleset, and I think it's ridiculous to segregate classes due to cylinder number. or is it something els? I must be because....

So a German V8 is ok, but an American isn't?? Make sense of that for me please...
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    With all due respect, there is some seriously screwy V8 stuff in this thread.

1. The AS and IT rulesets are completely different. Please spend 5 minutes reading the AS rules and you will see what type of power potential we are talking about -- heads, cams, carbs, compression, etc.

2. No "factory optional" camshafts are available that I am aware of. If you are aware of one, give us the information on it.

If anyone wants to see the V8 proposal, let me know. Ron did the hard work on it, and it pretty clearly lays out the case for these cars in ITR.

The only real "issue" with them is torque. All of the proposed cars make less or equal hp than, say, a 300zx or a 330i or a S2000.
    So what year cars and models are we talking about. I would assume that we are talking 80's to early 90's fox body mustangs and camaros with 302's and 305's then. Because any of the later cars due in fact make more HP then the cars you mention above. You take say a late 80's or early 90's notchback mustang with a 5.0 build it to IT rule set with balance, blueprint say 20 over, headers open exhaust gut it per the rules due all the suspension modes per IT rules and on tracks such as M-O, Nelsons, WGI, I would be willing to bet that they would have not much trouble being at the front of the field. In american sedan trim that car is listed at 3080 lbs. A stock 1995 Mustang GT made 285 ft lbs at the crank, assuming say 20% loss that takes it down to 228 ft lbs in stock trim. And IIRC all of the Mustangs came with 4 wheel disc brakes after 1993

Take for example the track records at Nelson Ledges. In 1993 when the track was slower and tires were slower Bob Strange turned a 1.17.03 in a 1LE Camaro. This year Dan Jones turned a 1.14.709 in an ITR BMW. I would bet that the track and tires alone would be good for say 1 to 1.5 seconds alone in that Camaro with no other mods.
    Last edited by cjb25hs; 01-03-2009 at 03:07 AM.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!