Thread: Proposed 2009 MARRS

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Greg brought 4 proposed race groupings. One with 8 groups, Three with 9 groups. Only one schedule, the 8 group schedule was discussed at length. The Miata guys loved it as it is in line with their objectives and argued strongly for this plan. They get a bigger piece or the smaller pie. And of course it suits ITA. A vote was taken for the 8 group schedule only. Almost no consideration was given to other schedules.

One year after we voted not to return to VIR due to the crowded race groupings with too many classes mixed together, we vote in crowded in crowded groupings of too many classes. In my mind this is a 180 degree reversal in our priorities.

We are sacrificing quality for a couple more race laps. Saturday racing can easily take place with a 9 group schedule and didn't in itself justify this 8. group schedule.

The cars that got screwed the most are the Prod cars. The SRF/Prod mix was not well received last year but will continue. ITS/ITR also received a very undesirable place to race. The SRX7/IT7 was quite content with what they had, shame they were broken up. And the quality of my race (ITb) will certainly suffer. The little open wheel groups got a bye.

I run a small business. The first rule for success is don't piss off your customers. In this schedule, Miata's and ITA were winners, but there were too many losers. Was this a good move when our racing is also facing the stress of the slow economy?
    Last edited by Charlie Broring; 12-15-2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling