Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
And unfortunately that "understanding" is why some of us are trying to make sure 38.1 is NOT mandated.
In fact, Bruce, I was wearing a HANS during my big crash at the Glen last September.

In the video you can see my head move laterally SIGNIFICANTLY, farther than I ever thought it could. My head hit the diagonal rollcage tubing THREE TIMES; that tube is/was so far away from my head that we NEVER thought it would get there, and it was not protected by padding.

I'll have to see if Cameron has those video screen shots hanging out somewhere...

Everyone should get it out of your minds that an SFI H&NR is for lateral movement; it's not. Its primary - I'd even call it exclusive - function is to stop forward momentum of the head/helmet in forward impacts only. If you're worried about lateral movement, you need to be looking at "halo" seats, and the formula guys need to be looking at getting their heads inside the cockpit openings (like they do in Indy, F1, etc. That's why they have those inserts that clip in after the driver ingresses...) - GA