I heard there was a (futlile?) attempt to calculate someone's compression ratio lasting several hours.
In my opinion the club should invest in a "whistler" like the circle track boys use.
It's non-invasive and quick; it's accurate (it compares the resonant frequencies of the cylinder at bottom and top dead center to compute the ratio); and it could be easily used to check several cars in each class quickly/always.
Taking the measurements in the field, especially to cars with other than flat-top pistons (i.e: most cars) and then calculating the compression ratio is not feasible. It's difficult enough in most shops if the dome/dish volume of the piston is unknown.
Competitors want to know with fair certainty that common illegal practices are impossible to get away with at events of this stature, and compression ratio is one of the big items. When I built my A2 VW motor, no one could tell me the piston volume-I had to measure it myself. Reliable sources including one former member of th ad-hoc grp told me to "whack the hell off the block-they can't check it".
Having integrity in the tech shed is a live issue and one that ought to be resolved.