Thread: Is this design legal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I agree 100% - and you would be able to see from underneath if it was there or not. Easy to determine legality.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Not saying what is legal and what isn't legal....but it looks to me like Greg's original strut tower pad is only 1/2 there.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Not saying what is legal and what isn't legal....but it looks to me like Greg's original strut tower pad is only 1/2 there.
    Looks to me like the half that is 'gone' is UNDER the legal pad...and therefor not gone.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    ...it looks to me like Greg's original strut tower pad is only 1/2 there.
    It's not; it's under there. We just welded the plates on top of the existing rear strut "tower" sheet metal (and that can be verified by looking inside the wheel well.)

When we did that it was such a revelation (well, at least in Club Racing) that we carried with us - and were asked to produce twice to tech inspectors - the cardboard templates of those plates to ensure they were below the maximum plate area (144 sq-in?) We actually had one tech inspector break out a ruler and calculate the area...

The other eye opener was the "rear rollcage lateral strengthening structure". Even my buddy Dick Patullo all but accused me of cheating, until he read the rule and thought about it... In hindsight, the same results could have been obtained by putting it between the rear rear leg tubes, and it would have resulted in a lot less "in your face"...

GA

What about the front strut mount area? During post race tech I've noticed that some have been chopped off and replaced by welding on a camber type plate thus allowing much more adjustability. Is that legal?
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Yes.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by robits325is View Post
    What about the front strut mount area? During post race tech I've noticed that some have been chopped off and replaced by welding on a camber type plate thus allowing much more adjustability. Is that legal?
    Sure. Some modification to the top of the tower may be necessary to fit the allowed camber plates. I have seen some VW photos that really pushed the limit but I think it is all legal.
    As to Greg’s strut bar, what was cutting edge with regard to attachment points 5 years ago is now pretty commonplace.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7