Thread: RX-7 Roll Cage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by jwesleyc3 View Post
    I really do not mind if it is heavy being a newbie to the sport. I am all about safety and passing tech so the size of tube I love.
    As someone that owns an IT7 RX7 with a cage that has over-spec tubing (1.75" x 0.120") I can tell you that you really want to avoid this. The weight penalty is not worth it. While I can't tell you if the bigger tubing provides more safety but I certain that the extra weight does cause increased tire wear, brake pad wear and a slower car.

A cage is really hard to do over so my advice is to get the correct stuff the first time. A properly built cage made of 1.5" x .095" DOM will be fine. I have seen RX7's crashed with this size tubing and they held up very well. So the SCCA spec is right in line with what you need.

All that asside - welcome to the sport. An RX7 is a great car and you'll have a blast driving it!!
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

Thanks for the advice forum members. I am going to order an Autopower U-Weld cage along with the race roll bar and go from there. There cages are legal in the SCCA so I am settling for this. I found these guys in back of an old Grassroots magazine.
    Thanks again for the quick replies.

Some gneral comments:

1- DO NOT buy a cage designed for another car. period. It will be HARDER than starting from straight tubes.

2- A custom cage often is safer, roomier and in the long run better than a pre bent one.

3- Thick/heavy tubes are only one indication of safety...design is as, or more important.

Remember in high school when you had to build that bridge using only a certain number of balsa wood sticks?

4- If you go the pre bent route, consider gusseting and extra triangulation. Often this requires no bending, but adds significant strength. Remember, triangulation is key, and give loads a route to follow. Also, attach the downtubes to multiple and vertical sections whenever possible.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com