Thread: A sad day for us all

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I've worked in F1 and various levels of the sport and had the opportunity to see many, many celebrities and notable names appear in the paddock. Most celebrities are hanging out to be seen and photographed as part of a groupie atmosphere. Most of them know nothing about the sport. Paul was always there for the sport and kept a low profile.

In my entire life, I have never sought out, or beckoned the attention from a celebrity in public. Except for one time. I will always remember the CART race at Laguna Seca in '97. Mr. Newman was walking towards us in the paddock. The only thing I could think of saying at the spur of the moment was, "Shaking it up here boss".

The look and grin he shot back to me was priceless and I will remember it as one of my favorite moments in racing. Cool Hand Luke was one of my childhood favorite movies.

The man was a class act and I am so glad that he was able to lap privately at Lime Rock in his final leg of life doing something he loved doing. It is fitting.

Mr. Newman, thank you for everything you brought to this world. I think I'll be watching Cool Hand Luke later this week and pitching back a cold one for you.

God speed,

Don
    Last edited by roadracer; 10-02-2008 at 01:50 AM.