I've really grown to love the Ledges and I'm not sure how I'll take any track changes. This is my rookie year in the SCCA and I ran the double regional 26/27 July and ran three 1.5 hour stints during the Longest Day last weekend so I do have a fair amount of track time (including quals and practices) there.

On one hand...the course is at times pretty freaking scary. Lots of pucker factor areas if you get off line a bit. I ended up having one of my best races on 26 July and my worst on 27 July when I dipped the left side tires off at T2 and shot across to the inside tire pile...launched and rolled at 80mph. :eek: I almost had the car saved if only the tires were about a foot further back...or stacked nicer instead of being like a ramp.

During the Longest Day last weekend I believe there were around 6-7 cars that rolled in the back, and I think the C&D car even went into the woods.

However, if you can keep it on track, that pucker factor is a real rush. Like someone said before, T1, T2 is a blast, and I love running flat out through the kink without a confidence brake tap or lifting. I don't have any problem with the track surface, but then again I drive a 95 ACR Neon so I'm used to being loose and squirrely. Plus, after driving at IRP (ORP) on 5 July I couldn't really complain about anything as long as it was paved.

The facilities for both weekends I was there worked fine. It would be nice to not bang my knees on the door of the crapper, but it is indoor plumbing. Same with the showers...it would be nice to not have hot and cold water flashes when someone flushes or washes their hands...but it is a shower and did the trick. I honestly had a bit better crappers and showers while I was in Iraq, but I'm still happy to have had it at Nelson.

It'll be interesting to see what's done and I look forward to it. I'm glad to know I had the opportunity to race on a historic track layout.

Jay Jenkins
#72 ITA Neon
"Snot Rocket"
Murfin Racing