Thread: Sad day at Lime Rock

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OK, Here's my favorite PLN story. The year is 2001, the year after Paul drove one of his old cars at a vintage weekend at Lime Rock. Right after that, he decided to try for one more National Championship.

Skip forward to June, 2001 - OVR Nationsl at Mid-Ohio. The GT-1 practice session starts, and this GT-1 car blasts past us at Sound Control and pegs the meter at 112dBa! Needless to say, we get a couple of more readings at the same level. So, I made it a point to send the reports down right after the session, and told my wife to post the reports, and find the car, and talk to the team. Now, Sharon is not easily impressed, so when she got back to station, I asked her if she found the car, and did she talk to the team. She says 'Sure. They said they would work on the car.' I asked her who the driver was and she says, without batting an eye 'Paul Newman'. At lunch, we went back down to the paddock. Paul's crew chief that weekend was Mike Brockman, an old friend, fellow racer, and actor (appeared with Paul in at least one movie). Mike and I looked at the car and they tried several changes. Mike came out to Sound to get readings for the rest of the weekend. Paul made it through the weekend and went on for a couple more seasons.

Here's a shot I took that weekend. Drive on, friend!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com