So my first race has come and gone. What an eye opening experience!

We arrived with the car Thursday night, go the lay of the land, registered and hung out for a bit.
Friday, my crew and I volunteered at T&S all day as part of my license deal. The group up there is very nice and a pleasure to work with. I have added T&S to my list as something to do on a regular basis.

Saturday come….it was NOT supposed to rain. I woke up and “FFFF” dark clouds…. I was not prepared for rain…no tires. Anyone that saw me at the school knows I was tooling around on 100K mile street tires. I was NOT going to do that again. Assuming that Smarty would not have tires, we decided if there is rain, we would pack up and go home. So the qualifier comes and the rain starts.

During the qualifier, I felt like I was driving my mirror more than the track in front of me. I was not holding a good line, I found myself waving EVERYONE by, and sometimes even waiting for them to catch up and pass. I was trying way too hard at not being ‘that guy that F’ed up someone’s run’. As a result, I ruined my own. The car is way underdeveloped in handling and horsepower. Driver is way underdeveloped. Although I feel had I been on my game, I could have driven faster that the car wanted to go. To be quite honest, I was overwhelmed. I remember seeing Andy, Chandler, and Driscoll in my mirror, then next to me, then gone. I watch them as they went by. I was in awe of the power can skill to place the car wherever and the ability to correct for the growing slick conditions as if it was second nature. It seemed like there were 5 Driscoll’s behind me at the same time! Then those nutty Audi’s….they sound like a train. The cars seem REALLY LOOOOONNNG and go on and on forever when they pass. I do remember passing my first car – that was a thrill!

So I get out of the car, catch my breath, rain starts heavy. My chief financial officer gives me the ‘I am having a great time, I love being at the track, your entire family is here (I had a crowd of about 20!), go get some rubber'. While you were all eating at FOM I was off to Smarty…..he actually had a set of 14” Hoosier rains for me! Mount them up, and guess what? As soon as I handed over the card, someone said they looked at the radar, rain will last an hour. I few minutes later, no more rain. Damn. But at least the rain tire deal for me is over. I actually was hoping for more rain cause I really wanted to try those tires. IA few fellow IT drivers came over and thanked me for buying tires because that would guarantee that we would be racing in the dry….sure enough, those pretty rains, still have stickers on them.

Andy comes up to me and says “Get on the wheel”, right away I looked for an excuse…he cut me off, saying “I don’t want to hear it, just do it”.
Doug Case and Dave, who have helped me since the beginning of all this, were a tremendous help that day giving me information about driving, and mostly how to keep my mind in the task at hand.

So the race comes, I started 36th – not surprised, and where I thought I would be. I remember from the school that I was left behind on the practice start because I was not prepared for the green. Not this time, I was in the right gear at the right RPM and ready! So there is the green, the track goes from 2 lines to an array of cars across the entire track and them some. I felt good as I was able to keep up into the first turn. There were cars outside Big Bend, then I saw a hole open in the driving line…at first I said, hey look at that…then it was 'you ass, get in there', so I did. I was able to pass a bunch of cars through Big Bend and into the left hander. I think that is where I stayed for just a short bit. Again I found myself waving people by. I was not sure if they were passing for position or just lapping me. I am sure they were passing for position now that I look back on it. But I felt like I was far more on the wheel than I was in the qualifier. I did hear Andy in the back of my head in lap one. There was a yellow car that I qualified next to and was using as a benchmark. I passed him and pulled away. Then I noticed I was loosing power in third gear, it seemed like I was slowing down (it was in my head because the lap times do not reflect this). The yellow car was creeping up on my.

I came out of Big Bend, saw Greg off the inside, a BMW and Miata outside, that lap, heading down the down hill I heard a BANG. I had not heard that noise in the car before. I thought maybe I made contact with the tailgating Miata, but his windshield was turning black, then the smoke. ‘Oh crap oil” I heard in the back of my head. I slid the car off the track at just about track out, and tried to keep it off the pavement and off the wall which was a little tricky given the wet grass and the lack of full stopping power. I was able to coax the car along and tuck onto the access bridge over the stream just shy of start finish. I watch the rest of the race from there. The double yellow come out just a minute or so later. I was thinking – damn it, I caused the yellow?”. Then my crew told me that someone was off somewhere else and it was not me….whew.

The workers were very friendly and understanding. I waved to my new friends at T&S as I crossed start finish….under the power of a pick up truck. They dragged me to my paddock as I watch the rest of you in impound. So I ended up with a fist sized hole in the block at the #3 rod. I was not upset, I was TOTALLY thrilled about being on the trackl. The impulse buy of tires and the detonation really were not even on my mind at all. I loved every minute of racing, even if I didn’t realize it at the time. I want more, I will learn and will get better.

My family was totally impressed with the level of stuff that was at the track. They have ZERO racing experience, even as spectators. They did not understand what I was getting into. They were not aware of how safety minded the entire event is. I am glad they were there. Now they can stop calling me crazy - or maybe not. They will be back. They really enjoyed the day of hanging out.

I was called to the tower. I expected to hear that I would not get credit for the race since I missed about half of it, and that I would not get the signature I needed since my car blew up. My wife and I reported to the tower. We spoke with Terry. He shook my hand letting me know that I did a great job getting off the track, keeping my oil to myself, and tucking onto the bridge. He signed my book! HOLY SHIEET! Sweet. On my way out, my buddies at T&S let me know that I did enough of the race to avoid the DNF. Score again! I finished 35th and 6th in class.

So I unwind the next day. Get the car in the garage and start planning. I am a do it yourself kind of person and I have another engine to drop in. I don’t have a clue how to swap an engine. But I have been out in the garage every night figuring it out. Tom Blaney had some post race comments for me that are, very helpful. What an asset he is.

The broken engine, which now smells like burnt popcorn is out of the car and in the corner of the garage like a beaten orfan. I have the accessories transferred; I am waiting on a new clutch disc before I wrap it up and put it back in the car. I hope to be done Labor Day weekend.

I plan to be at the Runoffs. I will not have a faster car, but I will be more on the wheel (it is etched into my brain) and looking to learn more.

Thanks to everyone that helped me get to and through that day. I was a top five of my life day for me!