Thread: First SCCA Race at NJMP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by kevin22 View Post
    oh-yeah, how about the checkered flag umbrella over the starters.
    Brief note about that....the permanent starter stand wasn't up yet, so no roof or shade (did anyone mention it was sunny and HOT? ) I happened to be on pit lane and noticed them putting up the umbrella, immediately worried that some might notice and momentarily be distracted. I mentioned this to them, and they did consider the possibility, but at that point they didn't have anything else. All agreed something was necessary (we really don't want a started to fall off the stand due to heat stroke, do we). I talked to three people in that run group, not one took notice of the checkered umbrella. However later, Beth and John Burkhard loaned them a blue and white umbrella because it was a potentially better choice, and they did make the change.

is the concern that someone might get the umbrella and a checkered flag confused, and stop on lap one?

Boy, if we have racers that dumb, we need to re-examine our requirements for a license!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    is the concern that someone might get the umbrella and a checkered flag confused, and stop on lap one?

Boy, if we have racers that dumb, we need to re-examine our requirements for a license!
    WHat if the corner workers start carrying yellow umbrella's?
    or what if after seeing that Checkered umbrella for 18 laps you don't notice the real checkered was out?

I just think they need to keep anything that can cause confusion away.