Thread: First SCCA Race at NJMP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by kevin22 View Post
    Great weekend, but I was wondering why they waive the yellow flag every time a car put a wheel off and kicked up a dust cloud. I could see the dust cloud from a half mile away so I didn't the flag for that, But would have been nice to know, was the flag waiving beacuse of dust? or was their a car on the otherside of the dust?
    General rule for flaggers is that, if you, the flagger, cannot see through the dust, you assume a car is there until either you can see clear traffic or the downstream station tells you that you are clear. As a flagger, I prefer this because it eliminates the recriminations of "if I had only put up a flag for that dust cloud" and as a driver, I like it too because it tells me that if I see dust, no flag and have no visibility... the course is clear.

My beef is that I saw a yellow for 3 laps during my race for a car pulled off by the barrier in the light bulb. Hanging a yellow that long for a car I have ALREADY seen will make me ignore your flag vis-a-vis displaying caution. Get the driver out ASAP or, given the location this car was sitting, if the driver stays in the car - one lap then green.

I give SJR two thumbs up for the event. I hope NJMP moves the 20+ green rooms from the one (far) corner of the paddock into the rest of the paddock.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    My beef is that I saw a yellow for 3 laps during my race for a car pulled off by the barrier in the light bulb. Hanging a yellow that long for a car I have ALREADY seen will make me ignore your flag vis-a-vis displaying caution. Get the driver out ASAP or, given the location this car was sitting, if the driver stays in the car - one lap then green.
    I only worked the light bulb on Saturday so I take no blame for that car pulled off!