Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
The way these dimwits drive in this country nowadays, would you want to see speed limits actually increase? If I'm gonna get totalled, I want it to happen on a race track, not on some interstate by a lady yakking on a cell phone and putting on makeup while doing 90-100mph with a baby in her lap!
Chris,
I'm not sure but I don't think Britney Spears does much traveling in your neck of the woods so I think you are safe (at least from her).

Here's my two cents worth. Setting the speed limit at 55mph would/could save some gas but the real problem with consumption is the type of vehicles people drive. All of us are removed from the "problem group" since we need larger vehicles to tow our cars around the country. The issue I have is people who own SUVs only because they can "sit up high" and "have a better view". I have a friend who owned a 4runner and he traded it for a Sequoia because he and his wife had a baby and they "needed more space". He doesn't own a boat or racecar or anything that needs to be towed. If everyone did a reality check and asked the question, do I really need this 7 passenger SUV, we would see a lot of changes and consumption would go down dramatically.

I'm to the point that I want to buy something small for everyday driving and buy a fullsize Ford van as my tow vehicle. At 6-8K miles per year, it should last a good long time.