I have been racing door to door with all the people in this race group for three years without contact and now that I have made a driving error, and because I drive a Miata, I am some kind of an idiot or jerk.

All I can say is:

1. I went out of my way to find Dick in the paddock area on my way out, to apologize as I probably didn't give him adequate room. Although I will say that I was hit in the rear quarter and think if BRAKES had been applied the incident could have been avoided. Maybe not. Either way I took the responsibility and still do.

Well I have most likely said more that I should have, but it is not fair to other responsible Miata drivers to be painted with the same brush. Think about it![/quote]

Jim,
I applaud you for posting your side, as it helps clear up misunderstandings. I hope you are not an idiot, nor a jerk - and in this case, I hope you can listen, as well as think about it:

I don't want to race with you.

I say that, because I don't think you understand the rules of door to door racing. By your statement, you have told me that your racing philosophy is dangerous and unsportsmanlike.

By suggesting that someone should have to hit the brakes as the only course of action to avoid either going off course or hitting a passing competitor shows that you have not comprehended the rules of our sport.

To Quote GCR 6.8.1 B: "All competitors have a right to "racing room" on the marked surface..."
6.8.1 C: " It shall be incumbent on all drivers to preserve the right of his fellow competitors to racing room on the race track."
6.8.1 D: "The responsibility for the decision to pass another car and to accomplish it safely rests with the overtaking car."

No where does it say "you can cut someone off as you pass, as soon as your front fender is ahead of your competitors".

I have had my share of on track contact, and probably 50% was my fault. I tried to pass someone in 3, locked up my tires as they turned in on the apex and spun them. I have stayed on track when my car was off pace, and gotten in people's way, no matter how hard I tried to point and stay on my line. I don't race often enough to keep my skills (and my head) where it should be by now. That being said, the most important thing to me is knowing that my competitors feel comfortable going door to door with me, knowing that I will race them hard and clean.

I have also raced on a track about twice as tight as NHIS, where passes typically took 2 to 3 turns to complete. Through those turns, we would run side by side, without contact, until we CLEARED the other car, before we resumed the 'racing line'. As racers, that is both the art of our craft, and the most rewarding part of our sport.

We've had this discussion on what is considered 'racing room', and the latest version of the GCR focuses on the responsibility of the passee. I think it should, as I think too often people believe racing room is only a requirement once someone has a fender on you. My version? Racing room starts when you anticipate someone will have their front wheel up to your rear wheel, going into the corner (rediculous dive bombs excluded). My approach may cause me to be passed more often than others, but it avoids getting myself punted, as well.

I wasn't at NHIS this past weekend, so my statements are solely based on what was posted. To be honest, what was stated got under my skin.