When I thought the car shuold stay in A (presumptive of me since I don't race one), I used Rick's lap record at VIR as evidence as well. Until he explained the lap to me. Total outlier of two drafts, cool weather, new track, etc. etc. etc.

Rick proved last year that a top prepped RX7 can run up front, but can't consistently beat a good Teg or Miata in A. Is that "good enough" to leave it in A? I don't know....I certainly don't see any ITA RX7s down south other than Charley Taylor's.

I've come 180 degress on this and think -- if the two problems Dick raises can be fixed, with the cage problem being the biggest one to me since it would affect already built cars -- the RX7 would be great for ITB. Car counts in the SEDiv for ITB would immediately go up by 6-8 cars PER race, and make it as popular as S and A.

Like Ron pionted out, we managed to get the ITS RX7 classed at the right weight -- as a direct competitor of that car I have absolutely no complaints about the weight it is at and the power it makes -- so we should be able to do the same with the 12a in B and I think that would be GREAT for the S/A/B structure. While I have a lot of friends that race in 7, I think that sort of subclass is bad for IT in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
That race weight, cage tube size issue is wacky to me in a very pragmatic way. My Golf is right near the cut off. I used smaller tubing. HOWEVER, I could race overweight enough to make the actual weight of the car higher than the cut-off. We have minimum weights, remember - there's no law against being too heavy.

I would agree that the first choice would be to find a way to integrate them back into B, and it seems like with sufficient political will, it's got to be possible somehow. I have to confess that recent experiences with the RX8 have left me with a new appreciation for both the challenge and the importance of finding a fair way to include the rotaries.

One comment though - part of the problem is the perception among non-rotary drivers that the cars are magic-fast. THAT is a result of a long history of easy porting cheats having artificially inflated both actual and perceives on-track performance. I hear of gentleman's agreements in IT7 about how much is OK, "since we're only racing against us." I see VIR lap records for IT7 and ITA that are essentially identical.

I see lots of easy pickin's for people who want to scuttle the idea of integrating the cars into B.

K