Thread: Memorial Weekend at CMP?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There is a hp/weight bias against the pony car family, including AS and ITO/American Iron like cars. It particularly shows up in situations controlled by the small bore contigent. The ECR for instance. We are running the ECR at Road Atlanta on Saturday, but Atlanta region is the only one that will allow us to compete. The small bore cars do not want us on the track with them and they can keep us away.

At the same time the influx of stock cars in SPO and GTA are completely overrunning the run group that has the AS cars in it. These cars DO NOT belong in the same run group. PERIOD!!

I ran 2:18's and VIR and if I were an expert driver I might could get it down to 2:14 or even 2:12. At the same time Ave ran 1:57 in his GT1 car with many in that run group running times in the 2:04/2:05 range.

Our cars need to be in a run group with cars more our speed and that is group 4. Group 4, however, has the clout to keep that from happening. Reality is there is probably no good place for street stock pony cars on dot tires to race in the SCCA and there is nothing really that can be done about it.

Unfortunately its probably decision time. With the stock cars taking over the big bore run group and fewer DOT V8 cars entering, its probably time to move on from the SCCA for NASA because the car count there and run groups is far more favorable.

Its a shame, but its the way the clubs are evolving.
    Last edited by Cobrar05; 05-07-2008 at 01:39 PM.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion