Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
That front seat bracket - both the little nubbin on top and the box-section cross piece - was all one part number at the VW parts desk. Does that matter?

I also removed the whole thing on the driver's side to mount the seat. Does that matter?

Point is however, this is precisely the basis of my concerns. Would that crossmember be there if the car had come without a passenger seat? We don't know.

K
I don't think VW decisions on how to package spare parts has anything to do with the rule in question - it doesn't matter. In fact, here's my opinion - the "nubbin" can go, as it is clearly seat bracketry or attaching hardware. The box cross section, not so much... sorry, but it has to stay. But like I said earlier, I'd have left that particular piece in place, regardless.

Your driver's side decision doesn't matter either, but this time because the wording is different. For starters, the driver's side allowance contains the words "...to facilitate replacement mountings....", making it an altogether different situation. That is not to say however, that I would automatically agree the driver's side box section can legally be removed. It's a separate discussion.

As an aside, I just noticed there is obvious redundancy within the "Dirver/Passenger Compartment - Trunk" section. Paragraph 9.a says (referring to all but the driver's seat) "All other seats may be removed." Then, on the same page is 9.e., which says the same thing, but this time with maybe a little too much detail?