Thread: April NHIS School/Regional

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well I found out what the problem was with the car. All the whining I did over the weekend was caused by a broken rack and pinion. When the car is up on the rack you can grab one wheel and rock both back and forth very easily, no resistance at all. So replace this and try again, this time going around corners might be a bit smoother, I hope. Is it possible to have one of the veterans take my car for a ride at a track day or is that not an OK thing to ask.
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Dan,
    That's a great way to learn more about your car, get feedback about potential ways it could be improved or your driving might be adjusted.

Feel like going to the Glen for SCDA's April 28/29th HPDE? Both Jake Gulick and I will be there instructing and would be happy to help out. (www.scda1.com)
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Just checked out the SCDA website and that looks like a plan! I will check schedules and firm this up. Thanks
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

I have spoken with Ian Prout and I have registered for the event on Apr 28th. The check is in the mail. Hope to see you there. Should I try and remount my passenger seat??
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

If you do, you need to have the same equipment in the passenger area as you do in the driver area.

Harness and seat...
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

You're going for both days, right?

Should I try and remount my passenger seat??
    Yes!!!

If you do, you need to have the same equipment in the passenger area as you do in the driver area.
    That's not accurate. If you have a spare set of racing belts, mount them up. If you have the OEM belts, keep them in place as well (as a alternative to the racing belts if we're not feeling too comfortable with how they're mounted). If you have an extra racing seat, that's ideal but not required.

I'll shoot you a PM. (On edit) or maybe not. The ability to send you a PM or e-mail is turned off. Send me your e-mail address to [email protected] .
    Last edited by gran racing; 04-16-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I have just an OEM seat. I will try and mount both a new set of racing belts and the OEM belts.
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post

That's not accurate. If you have a spare set of racing belts, mount them up. If you have the OEM belts, keep them in place as well (as a alternative to the racing belts if we're not feeling too comfortable with how they're mounted). If you have an extra racing seat, that's ideal but not required.
    We are talking about a RACECAR here right? Sorry man...from SCDA's website:

How do I prepare my car before an event?
    Before attending an SCDA event, it is each student's responsibility to ensure that his or her vehicle is up to the added challenges of track driving. First of all, all loose items should be removed from the automobile, take time to clean out the trunk, and empty the car completely. Fluids should all be checked prior to an event. Specifically, make sure that your oil is fresh, as is your brake fluid. Old brake fluid will appear brown or even black in color. This is not acceptable. Brake fluid should be fresh and golden in color. If at all in question, have your mechanic bleed your brakes, and have him check the thickness of your brake pads as well. Both passenger and driver side seatbelts should be fully functional and the same restraint system must be used for both driver and passenger. Tires should be inspected closely, and air pressure should be set to the appropriate amount before the car goes on the track. Furthermore, cars with body rot or rust will NOT be permitted to participate. The SCDA reserves the right to inspect any car for any reason at any point of an event. Having your mechanic check over your automobile before the event is strongly encouraged.
    I am pretty sure that the seat is considered part of the restraint system. If not, you at least have to match the belts.
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 04-16-2008 at 02:36 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967