Thread: 2nd gen RX7 erratic perfomance problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Temp Sensor

Steve at what temp will the ECU start pulling back the timing?

Bill Weaver
    ITS RX7
    W J Weaver

Default timing

you can start by setting the timing at 28 degees btdc (no more). the sensor (water temp)is set at 170 degees. that one drove me nuts for a few races , replaced it , car went back to running great !

Normal temp for timing to retard is over 220 usually, but the sensors start to drift and are a big reason some cars loose power in a race. A fresh one and clean contacts in the connector are a good investment if you run a stock computer.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Default Sensor

If the sensor removed and will this affect the timing....my intial thoughts are no since it isn't reading anything. Does that sound correct?
    W J Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by Weaver7 View Post
    If the sensor removed and will this affect the timing....my intial thoughts are no since it isn't reading anything. Does that sound correct?
    Nope. The sensor is a variable resistor in a circuit that is attempting to measure its resistance - normally by using a resistor dividor to convert it to a voltage. Cold = high resistance; hot = low resistance. Not connected = very high resistance.
    I don't know the details of the stock ECU, but from a circuit standpoint, disconnected looks like as cold as it gets. It's possible that the ECU recognizes this situation and chooses some default temperature, but it's certainly not optimal.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)