Before I make this reply, let me start by saying that I have over a decade with SCCA... have been a die-hard SCCA member. Many people know that I've been at all levels of SCCA, from corner worker, starter, driver, RE, member of many committee/boards, pro racing staffer, moved to Topeka... so I have all of the SCCA scars and I love SCCA.

Having said that, it's hard sometimes for us to remember that other racing organizations exist. But they do, and they are numerous and in many cases, higher profile then SCCA (IMSA, Grand-Am, Champ Car, IRL, FIA, etc.). All of these groups have similar, but slightly different rules in place.

The NJ State Police took most of these rules as input and guidelines for developing their rulesets. So they didn't follow just the SCCA GCR when writing their law.

The also follow manufacturer guidelines and as we all know, defining age dates for things like belts and helmets has been an industry definition problem since first implemented. SCCA had to deal with this same definition issue with regard to the age of seat belts.

So having said all of that, we are working with the State Police to clarify things like this, and I am sure we will be able to get most of these rules clarified. What I can't say is that everyone will agree with the final clarification... since the State Police, and the track as the licensee of the State, have to try to do what is in the best interest of EVERY group visiting the facility.

We will work on getting clarifications in place. Right now people should not be overly concerned, and certainly should not assume anything negative about our State Police representatives. They are good people, excited about road racing and very willing to work with us.