Oh, I don't know. It's not wheel-to-wheel racing in the traditional sense. I briefly skimmed through the rules and it sounds interesting. Without learning more about it, I really can's actually say it's safe or not. Here are a few line items...

"Passing is allowed only on the longer straights. Corners must be driven in single file. Overly aggressive or unsafe driving will be subject to penalties and/or exclusion from the event.

This racing format will reward, and provide wins for, those drivers who can run consistent lap
times at or near, but no more than two seconds faster than, their qualifying times. Since vehicle
capabilities are neutralized by the PPTs, SATCAR® races are DRIVING SKILL events.

If two cars qualify at times that are close to equal, their PPT will be similar and they would
leave the pits closely spaced at the start. If this situation occurs, the cars will be released in
the time spacing indicated by the PPT and they will be allowed to race for 2-3 laps. If the
slower car/driver in front is able to drive better and pull away from the faster car/driver behind,
the car/driver in front will not be shown the passing flag. If the faster car/driver is able to drive
better and is able to constantly stay within close proximity to the slower car/driver, the slower
car/driver will be shown the passing flag and must permit and assist the pass. As above,
once the pass is made, a repass by the slower car/driver is not allowed."