Thread: ITA/7 vs ITB vs SM in the Midwest

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ITA/7 vs ITB vs SM in Midwest

Morgan
    Most of the info posted is basically correct. However, IT7 is a relatively new class that started in 2004 when a bunch of RX7 drivers convinced MIDIV to opt them out of ITA. IT7 started in SEDIV a few years earlier. ITA in MIDIV was dominated by Hondas and a 240SX so the RX7 guys got their own class. There really isn't a move back to ITA, its just that some weekends there isn't much of a IT7 class so the drivers run in ITA. preparation for the cars is identical for ITA and IT7.
    I ran a1980 ITA/7 RX7 for 6 years. Only 1 DNF and that was a crash. The cars tend to be very reliable and low maintenance. They are a great club racer. In those 6 years I never changed or rebuilt an engine, transmission or differential. I sold it in 2005 in preparation for retiring and the guy who bought it hasn't had much trouble either and he's way faster than I ever was. He's been known to run ahead of the ITA and ITS cars in the IT group. I think it's for sale as he is building a FS car.
    I'd stay away from the VW's but only because they seem to break more and require more maintenance than the Mazdas.
    Good luck in your search. BTW, I lived in Ankeny when I had the RX7.
    Mike Trier
    Last edited by miketrier; 03-20-2008 at 10:22 PM.