Thread: Stewards and/or drivers taking action???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Stewards are there to decide conflicts....but to get that call, you must file papers. This is true in on track incidents as well as technical infractions. Just like life, we are responsible for our world. Don't accept "Are you sure you want to??" from a steward. Know your rights, know the rulebook...and insist that you are treated fairly. if you don't, you can thank yourself.
    Some stewards are there to decide conflicts, the SoMs and serve in the judicial role.
    Some, however, are enforcement - Chief, Assitant Chief and Operating - and serve in the role of law enforcement, i.e. sending the perps to the judges.

I think too often we expect the second type to always intervene and when they do not, we, as drivers, need to exercise our responsibility and rights.

Stewards are human...
    I'm going to need statistical evidence to back that claim.

On a side note, does it bother anyone other than me that a driver who appeals a court and wins, still has to pay the cost of that appeal? I personally know of one appeal where the original Court violated the rules by creating a non-GCR compliant punishment, overturned on appeal, and the fellow who filed the appeal still had to pay for the cost of duplicating the video, mailing it out and the conference call...

Shouldn't either the Club or the hosting Region eat the cost of the appeal if "it" loses on procedural ground?

The one time I felt I was "wronged" on the race track, I got hit on the LR wheel in a corner by someone that was 5 car lengths behind when I entered the corner. After limping my car to tech (I had a bent axle housing) I asked the steward if anyone saw what happened. No, all eyes were somewhere else.

I ranted and fumed and kicked by myself for a few minutes and the steward asked if I wanted to protest. I took a deep breath and filed my first (and only) protest. The steward walked me through the process, made a GCR available, and generally helped me understand what would matter and what wouldn't. I talked to the SOMs, explained my side and what I felt had happened (no video). The other guy did the same, and he admitted that he was too hot and used me as a deflector shield.

He offered to pay all damages if I would drop the protest. I said no. It wasn't a question of money. If I couldn't afford the damage I wouldn't have been out there. This was a guy that a rep for being over his head, and taking risks with other peoples cars (and safety). I felt that the protest was the right thing and hoped the SOMs would see it my way.

They did, and gave him a 6 race probation. I think he's a better driver now and that the protest process did what I hoped it would.
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ