Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
why wait until failure? and how is failure defined? is it when the mount rips our in a high speed corner and causes a crash? is it when you think you might be able to see something that might be a crack? and how do you tell after the repair has been done whether or not there was a prior failure?

bottom line, nobody wants to wait until ultimate failure...dangerous and 10x more difficult to fix. if the repair is a standard factory procedure and uses standard factory parts i don't see a problem with doing it prior to catastrophic incident. non standard "creative' preventative repairs...no way. standard factory fixes for known issues..go for it.

There's "by the book" and maybe a little reality. By the book, this is clearly illegal. See my example of 944 control arms. Is it OK for them to swap in beefier arms so they don't have the high speed failure?? And again, if I remember the discussion from years ago, there was no mention of reinforcement to fix a crack. The ONLY mention was welding AFTER there is a crack. It doesn't matter what they may or may not do in the shop, it goes by what the manual says.

Would i protest someone who did this?? No. But don't try to justify it being legal due to the "safety" card. Trying to justify it as legal always makes me think, "what other "justifications" are going on with the car..........."