Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I come play with you guys?

hey newbees ! WELCOME !!!! we need to get more " s " cars out there . thank you for coming to run its with us. i will help you, if i can lets go racing !!!

Thanks to all of you guys. I will buy the first round when I finally get on track with you. I had to think long and hard not to come to CMP but I just couldn't make the numbers work this time. Oh well there will be other events this year.

You guys have fun at CMP and SteveP get the motor in so Jeff and Ron have somebody to follow around on track :eek:
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Default hey, me too!

Well, since there is no "introduce yourself as a noob" forum, I guess this is as good a place as any to say hi.

I'm a fellow Tennessee Valley Region member that was at the Roebling school with Paul getting my license as well. It's been a few weeks now and I'm still buzzing from how much fun that was. 6 hours of track time- whew...what a trial by fire. I bought an ITB GTI off this forum from a guy in Ohio. Car was the (I guess) typical "race ready" car that needed like $2k and a bunch of time dumped into it. Anyway- I have done mucho Autocross, road rallies, Time Trials, Hillclimbs, a bit of Clubrally/NASA Rallys, and I am a rabid Rallycrosser, so Road Racing was the one thing I hadn't tried yet.... I was actually a bit worried because I wasn't sure I'd like it.. I know and have seen personally that it's not everyone's cup of tea. like it or not or agree or not there seems to be a "ladder" in SCCA of autocross>Time Trials> Road Racing. I know some people just jump off the deep end right into racing but it seems that many increase the committments of time/money/equipment to follow the faster and faster path. If you see road racing as a goal for a long time like I did, you finally get to school and ask "Am I really ready for this?" and more importantly considering some of the many VW's I've raced, wrecked, loved, crashed, rolled, burned, scarred and broken- "Will this damn thing hold together for that many track sessions?"

.... well, now there's a small part of me that wishes I hadn't tried it. Good Grief that has got to trounce any drug made. I cannot stop thinking about getting back on the track somewhere soon for more and more and more. I am completely ruined. That was by far one of the most fun weekends of my life. My little Rabbit held together with very few whacks of the hammer and the Kumho's held up fine. It was also real nice to have a pretty big group from my home region helping, instructing, cheering and crewing for my fellow region members and me. My instructor, Mike Havlick was a great guy and did as good a job as anyone could ask in an instructor and was very encouraging.

I like to think my past seat-time with other things really really helped me push the car hard. I had to tell myself several times- "Hey idiot, chill out, back off, and don't wreck the car at the friggin SCHOOL for christmas' sake!" I got in packs of cars and got a little too carried away sometimes haha.

anyway....another rookie on the block. hello everybody.

John Barnett
    ITB '84 GTI
    Huntsville, AL

'bout time you "chirped" yellowhammer!

Welcome to the fray and I think the great moderators ought to start a "introduce yourself" thread. Sounds like a good idea to me. What say the group?
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    I will save that for another thread. Just get it done based on the real numbers you have so we can start building cars. Class it heavier than a E36 and it is DOA. I can run ITO until 09!! Come on big guy--throw us a bone.
    238 stock hp (revised down from Mazda). That's the real number, period, and should put it well heavier than the E36. 3000 lbs would be a gift. Other cars with less hp stock are speced far heavier than that. The standard formula puts it in the 3300 ballpark. Put it below 2800, as the Mazda biased folks want, and we can call it ITRotary. But as you said, this topic is better suited elsewhere.