Thread: Legal to make my own 16V P/S-alternator bracket?

Default Legal to make my own 16V P/S-alternator bracket?

Instead of paying $$$ for the factory 16V P/S-alternator bracket, can I just make my own? Provided that it is similar to the factory one?

GCR 9.1.3.D.1.p
    All engine components not otherwise listed in these rules shall meet factory specifications for stock parts.
    Only catch is I can't make cast iron, so it would have to be made with angle iron. But otherwise it would mount the alternator and P/S in the same location as the pricey factory bracket. A/C has been removed, and I'd like to mount the alternator lower, in the same place as the A/C compressor, same as the factory bracket which is hard to find and pricey.

If that bracket wasn't available in the US it's not legal even if you use the factory part. Either way, technically illegal to make your own.

As best as I can tell, the bracket was and still is available in the US. I'll post the part number later.

The question is on which US models this bracket was available, to apply the updated/backdated components rule in GCR 9.1.3.C. But the onus would be on me to have proof of legality, right?

Supposing I can prove legality, making your own out of angle iron is no no , but could I take the factory A/C, alternator, P/S bracket and modify it to be just like the factory alternator, P/S bracket? Or will I have to shell out some $$$ to get the exact OEM part?

Sorry - you need to use stock parts.

K

Quote Originally Posted by GTIspirit View Post
    Instead of paying $$$ for the factory 16V P/S-alternator bracket, can I just make my own? Provided that it is similar to the factory one?

GCR 9.1.3.D.1.p

Only catch is I can't make cast iron, so it would have to be made with angle iron. But otherwise it would mount the alternator and P/S in the same location as the pricey factory bracket. A/C has been removed, and I'd like to mount the alternator lower, in the same place as the A/C compressor, same as the factory bracket which is hard to find and pricey.
    Even if you can make a bracket identical to the stock bracket, or decide to buy one, I don't see any allowance for you to move the mounting point of your alternator.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Assuming the change is legal, there are always junkyards to help save money on overpriced widgets.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I would bet he is removing the AC system, and the non-AC alternator location is approximately where the AC compressor used to sit.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I know a guy who used an 8v golf a/c bracket, i think it was 4lbs lighter.
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Was the 16v Golf not available without AC? I am positive that the 16v Scirocco was, but honestly just assumed that the Golf was. If this is the case, it should be the same bracket as the 8v non-ac car.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Was the 16v Golf not available without AC? I am positive that the 16v Scirocco was, but honestly just assumed that the Golf was. If this is the case, it should be the same bracket as the 8v non-ac car.
    As best as I can tell, the 16V Golf was available without A/C.
    http://www.gti16v.com/tspecs87.htm
    That being the case, I can relocate the alternator to same position as a model that did not have A/C. So I just have to find an OEM bracket.....