Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Do you mean something is required, it can be a net or seat bolsters?

Additionally, The right side protection rule is independent of H&R devices.

I'm sure you understand this, just the wording seemd confusing to me.
Yes, a right side net or seat bolster is required, this went into effect June 2007. Correct, the proposed SFI HNR rule coming into effect June 2008 is in addition to the right side impact rule.

15.17.8 Head and Neck Restraint
Use of a head and neck restraint system or device, carrying an SFI 38.1 certification, is mandatory for all drivers as of June 2, 2008. References and information can be found in “Appendix D,” section #29.0 of the CCR.

15.17.9 Head Restraint – Side Impact
All vehicles must be outfitted with a right-side impact head restraint system. A seat with a “bolster” to keep the head from moving to the right side in an impact is acceptable. A side-impact head-net restraint system, such as the Racetech RTViperRP is also acceptable. Note- all side-impact head-net restraint systems must have a quick-release mechanism to aid the driver in case of a necessary egress via the passenger side.

Here is something interesting.... SCCA Pro Racing

2.10.10: RIGHT SIDE HEAD NET – A right side restraining net, installed per PRR\ Appendix N, must be in place whenever the vehicle is being operated on the racing circuit. Plastic buckles and elastic straps are not acceptable.

2.10.3: HEAD AND NECK RESTRAINT – All drivers shall use an SCCA Pro Racing approved head & neck restraint listed in Appendix J.

J.1: HEAD AND NECK RESTRAINT
The use of an approved head and neck restraint device may be required in a series, an is highly recommended for all drivers even if it is not required in a particular series. As of 1/1/2005, the head and neck restraint systems approved by SCCA Pro Racing will meet SFI spec 38.1. Additional systems may be approved by the series TECHNICAL MANAGER as they become certified by SFI, or the FIA.

HANS, Hutchens 2, R3, Moto R

My point is SCCA Pro Racing has the additional safety rules, NASA is in the middle of putting in new safety rules, SCCA Club one could only assume is just behind the corner. If the safety rules of NASA are holding you back, I'm not sure how long that is going to be an issue.

Before this is taken the wrong way, I FULLY SUPPORT the ISAAC being an approved HNR device and wish it was. Please don't turn this into an SFI debate.