Thread: Why don't you also race NASA TX?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Guys, I appreciate your response but the question was directed at those in the SOWDIV/TX. We don't have the luxury of 2 day race weekends like most of you. Here in the SOWDIV, our 2007- 2008 schedule (season starts after Runoffs) consisted of a R/R in Nov and Jan and a R/RR in early Feb. Our next R/R is in September, the rest of the events are R/N or N/N. None of us like to tow for a one day race weekend and the regional cars in the SOWDIV are a bit frustrated. I've been to a meeting, SOWDIV is a national car oriented division and the attitude is get a national car if you want to race here.. it's evident in the schedule.

Hence the question about NASA in TX.

Since you responded on why you don't race and listed your perception of the negatives, I'll respond.

The reasons you listed are all safety related, if you don't like the additional safety requirements don't race NASA. This is not the thread to debate the SFI merits, several other theads for that. For all those who say NASA is not as safety concious as SCCA, well I think that's obvious it's simply not true.

Furthermore, the SFI HNR is proposed to go into effect in June 2008. No right side net is required, a net OR seat bolster is required. You can bet SCCA follows with similiar rules in the future. A new FIA seat starts at $299 - Momo Start or keep your seat brack brace. It's my understanding FIA says the seat is good for 5 years and NASA follows that rule. According to the GCR, SCCA requires SFI or FIA suit so I don't understand what Greg is referring to. "All suits shall bear an SFI 3.2A/1 or higher certification label or FIA 8856-2000 homologation."

With NASA in TX....

More Sessions (6-7 per weekend)
    More Races (3-4 per weekend)
    More regional car weekends (6 vs. 4 for SCCA)
    More Tracks (5 vs. the 3 SCCA provides for regional cars)
    Contingency - Mazdaspeed, Hankook, Toyo, etc... at the regional level.
    Costs - entry fee less than SCCA
    NASA Championships - contingency like the runoffs but without the national car.

All of the SRX7 guys migrated over. Many of the SM cars have as well (20+). A NASA weekend has just as many if not more entrants than an SCCA regional race.

I'm not advocating leaving SCCA, I still race SCCA and just did 3 weeks ago. I didn't want this to get into a why which organization is better, simply my question was and still is....

Why do the SOWDIV IT cars not run NASA?
    Last edited by mbuskuhl; 02-11-2008 at 03:16 PM.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT