Thread: Cage photos in Tech Center is it legal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Geeze. Twice in one thread, on the same item, in the same friggin paragraph of the good book. I really need to pay more attention to the details than I have been lately.

It does say one tube on each side. I still don't like the resulting reduction in acheivable strength of anti wheel intrusion efforts in the new rule.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Geeze. Twice in one thread, on the same item, in the same friggin paragraph of the good book. I really need to pay more attention to the details than I have been lately.

It does say one tube on each side. I still don't like the resulting reduction in acheivable strength of anti wheel intrusion efforts in the new rule.
    That pix is of pre 08 car taken early last year. So OK for me, but still a less than optimal rule for new people IMO.

Here is another question for you guys. This car we bought already has a logbook for scca last date 2004 I think, and a nasa logbook last dated 2006. We are going to be rebuilding part of the cage. Since this car already has a logbook wouldn't the old rules apply to it, not the 2008 changes?
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

1990 Honda Civic Si ITA (eventually)
    Hallett COMMA Series PA Class

Nope, you still need to make the door bar changes and any other required change. I think from 04 to 08 the door bars and the window net are the only changes effecting the cage design.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

My understanding is you need to meet the '07 cage rules. If your first log book is issued after Jan. 1 2008 then it must meet the '08 cage rules.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

We will be adding nascar door bars on both sides, a tube under the dash connecting both sides and some additional bracing. We will probably also add the two forward braces that attach to the firewall. I just wanted to know if we would be held to the 07 or 08 rules for the cage?
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

1990 Honda Civic Si ITA (eventually)
    Hallett COMMA Series PA Class

Grumpy,
    I'd bet that you are the guy that used to rat people out in school and supported the 12 men on the field call last night. Complete and total BS! Anybody that would exploit this misswording to thier advantage doesn't belong in a club sport like ours. Spend your key strokes doing something usefull instead of coming here and being a PIA. Yes I did Jim's cage and many more like it. Other then your ability to read what qualifies you to even coment on this issus? David I will look forward to seeing in Fastrack a change from the wording "one tube" to "tubing", problem solved, Grumpy go have some shrimp...
    John Weisberg
    BERG Racing
    Rochester NY
    203-556-0427

http://www.berg-racing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JimLill View Post
    That pix is of pre 08 car taken early last year. So OK for me, but still a less than optimal rule for new people IMO.
    Sorry. This discussion seems to be covering two topics. One is what you could do TODAY per the 08 rules. That is the part that I keep making mistakes on.

I don't see anything in the photos that is not legal per my understanding of the 07 rules.

I agree that an 07 or older log booked car needs to meet the door bar requirements, main hoop reinforcing requirements etc. to be 'current'. Other items, such as tubing type, and this new wording for the optional front cage members however are 'grandfathered', based on what was required when the log book was issued.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com