Thread: ITR legality question about hub.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Now now Joe! No you wouldn't, you'd argue the opposite! Trying to stir the pot on Christmas, shame on you! lol......
    Sky's not falling though. Read the rule (not the piston specific one):

Stock replacement parts maybe obtained from sources other than the manufacturer profided they are teh exact equivalent of the replacement parts. The intent of this rule is to allow the competitor to obtain replacement parts from standard industry outlets, e.g. auto-parts distributors, rather than from the manufacturer. It is not intended to allow parts that do not meet all dimensional and material specifications of new parts from the manufacturer.

David is right. You can't go to the local machine shop have someone make you a (lighter and stronger) billet hub. Illegal per teh words and intent of the rule.

Happy holidays!
    [/b]

Guys come on. Dimensions are the same and material is steel. PROCESS IS NOT A SPEC! Just like the piston rule cast v forged. Jeff didn't stop in to stir anything up. Before the replacement rule was put in I would have agreed with your take. There is nothing to stop it now. Even the autoparts rule does not stop it. Prove that I didn't buy it from carquest? Now lets look at the other art of that section you guys want to quote.

It is the intent of these rules to restrict modifications to those useful and necessary to construct a safe race car. This class is intended to allow a variety of popular, inexpensive cars to be eligible; however, those determined
    by the Club to be outside of these parameters will not be classified.
    Entrants shall not be guaranteed the competitiveness of any car, and competition adjustments, other than as outlined in section 9.1.3.C, are not allowed. Other than those specifically allowed by these rules, no component or part normally found on a stock example of a given vehicle may be disabled, altered, or removed for the purpose of obtaining any competitive advantage.[/b]
    If an aftermarket part meeting all the criteria of the replacement rule for material and dimension can be found or made then it is legal.

Merry christmas to you all.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

If an aftermarket part meeting all the criteria of the replacement rule for material and dimension can be found or made then it is legal.

Merry christmas to you all.
    [/b]
    So........

The valve springs I just picked out are made of steel and have the same exact dimensions as the OEM springs. They happen to have twice the seat pressure. Legal? I think not.

While the manufactured part may not have a physical aspect that is as easy to measure as spring pressure, if it doesn't have all the same characteristics then it is illegal.

If the stock uprights are cast pieces then it is illegal to replace them with parts machined from billet (a solid block of material). If the stockers are steel, then it is illegal to replace them with aluminum, or, a higher grade steel.

My money is on the stockers not being billet pieces. And, if they aren't then replacing them with billet pieces is going to have someone writing some paper up over your car.

But, these are just my opinions and I'm sure other opinions will vary.

So........

The valve springs I just picked out are made of steel and have the same exact dimensions as the OEM springs. They happen to have twice the seat pressure. Legal? I think not.

While the manufactured part may not have a physical aspect that is as easy to measure as spring pressure, if it doesn't have all the same characteristics then it is illegal.

If the stock uprights are cast pieces then it is illegal to replace them with parts machined from billet (a solid block of material). If the stockers are steel, then it is illegal to replace them with aluminum, or, a higher grade steel.

My money is on the stockers not being billet pieces. And, if they aren't then replacing them with billet pieces is going to have someone writing some paper up over your car.

But, these are just my opinions and I'm sure other opinions will vary.
    [/b]
    Ron,

Your brighter than the seat pressure arguement because the pressure (rate) would be a considered fact and would be illegal because no legal part (aftermarket) shall perform an illegal function. Cast forged or billet are all processes. Processes have be proven to not be a dimension considered in this arguement (pistons) I would even go as far as to say that by opening up that rule you have also allowed alternate cranks meeting all the correct deminsions. (good intentions you know) Kinda like the old ECU rule and how it got away. I would venture to say that the parts on the S2000 are machined from forged steel parts and there for machining from a billet piece of the same grade of steel would be completely legal as hardness would not be considered in the protest. If hardness becomes an issue then I will venture to say there are a bunch of brake rotors and pistons that all the sudden become illegal parts. I hope Greg AMy chimes in on this one to show me how far off the mark I am...

Ya,all have a couple on me....
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com