Greg, thanks for the insight!! what a progression.

I have been towing with a dolly for 10 yrs now.. First out of necessity (all I could afford!) and recently for convenience - really don't have room for a trailer or a tow only vehicle. The dolly hides nicely behind some bushes so the neighbors can't see it.

Last season it finally happened, I had an accident at Road America and the car was not towable on the dolly, fortunately there was another racer (a really great guy like most all racers are!!) who was kind enough to put my car on his trailer and I towed his car on the dolly. It was a long ride home... and out of the way for him. Such is the drawback of using a tow dolly.

I commute 34 miles each way on a mixture of highways and back roads - mostly stop and go on each. I am space limited and don't want a tow only vehicle. So for my daily commute I need something good on gas that can also tow 6 weekends a year (1 hr to 4 hr tows). I will have to figure out where to park the trailer. I think I will find an open aluminum trailer to tow my approx 2000 lb ITB and some wheels. The tools will go in the back of the tow vehicle.

The thought of an enclosed trailer is really cool but just not part of my equation right now. I think I will look into a 6 cyl mid size SUV or 4 dr pick up that isn't too bad on gas.

Thanks for all your comments, they have been very helpful.