Thread: The VIN Requirement Rule

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My concern would be that some cars had options (sunroofs, more bracing etc) that others didn't. Yes it would be easier to get that HF or HX civic and make it into an IT whatever car starting with the lightest chassis possible. That doesnt seem fair to all that looked at that option but did not do it because of legality. We would also be creating cars that didnt ever exist!
    On the other hand cars that are identical, just engine or tranny differences seem logical as certain model shells are becoming rare.

Tough call
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

My concern would be that some cars had options (sunroofs, more bracing etc) that others didn't. Yes it would be easier to get that HF or HX civic and make it into an IT whatever car starting with the lightest chassis possible. That doesnt seem fair to all that looked at that option but did not do it because of legality. We would also be creating cars that didnt ever exist!
    On the other hand cars that are identical, just engine or tranny differences seem logical as certain model shells are becoming rare.

Tough call
    [/b]
    Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a US market Honda with an SI badge that didn't have a factory sun/moon roof?
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

Tough call
    [/b]
    If the shell is different than what was available for the car you are building - in any way - it is not legal to use. There are a LOT of cases of identical shells being used for different models, and for those cases it will not be legal to end up with any car that used that same shell. If there is different bracing or other structural differences then it would not be legal to 'change models' with the shell.

The cannot create a model rule has not been rescinded to my knowledge.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Tough call
    [/b]
    My question to everybody that asks that (lightest chassis or more bracing) the weight is the weight for the class. I understand taht you can put the weight where you want to, but I don't think that is as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be. And the bracing thing, does it REALLY matter once the cage is installed? If you properly design a cage (which is legal) added bracing doesn't mean anything. In the case of some of the M3 suspension bracing versus non M3, if the non M3 car doesn't have ht ebracing then the bracing can't be there legally even if you were to use an M3 tub.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures