Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miata hard top rule?

I've run my car my both ways.

On my car, huge advantage above 100-110 mph. This means it is a big deal at Roebling, VIR, Lowe's etc. CMP is the only place where I don't think it helps. By huge advantage I mean an additional 300-400 rpm at the end of the straight.

I have seen some data somewhere that said a HT was worth 2 seconds on a Miata at VIR.

NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Some of the ITA Miata guys have told me that a hard top is worth about two seconds a lap at Road Atlanta, too.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

IF no top was an advantage someone in the SM world would find a way to make a factory top look and seem like it was there but actually really not be there!

That is after they beat the SMAC senseless trying to get the rule changed so everyone had to run without a top!

From most of the testing going back to 99, the top helps.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

52 lbs is the magic number for the top without hardware... sorry it took so long to get it weighted
    Brad
    1995 Mazda Miata (aka Black Betty)

In the November Fastrack there is a proposed rule change that might help clarify the issue. It could give you the definitive answer you need without the need to guess and worry about the outcome. The text below is from the Fastrack.

PROPOSED RULE CHANGES OR CAR RECLASSIFICATIONS
    The following subjects will be referred to the Board of Directors for approval. Address all comments, both for and against, to the Club
    Racing Board. Comments may be e-mailed to [email protected].
    GCR
    Item 1. Effective 1/1/08: Change section 8.1.4 to read as follows:
    To obtain a determination on the legality of a vehicle or component, without filing a formal protest, a competitor may request such a
    ruling from the Club Racing Office. The Chairman of the Stewards Program will then convene a first court. The protest and appeal procedures
    described in sections 8.3 and 8.4 apply except that <strike>Their decision would then be reviewed by the Court of Appeals. The fee
    for this service is $250. A portion of this fee may be refundable at the discretion of either or both courts. P</strike> penalties or penalty points
    will not be assessed in the event of a negative ruling. Also, a non-compliant ruling will be published; a compliant ruling will not be published.
    The fee for this service is $125 for the first court and $125 for the Appeals Court.
    United States of America - Land of the free because of the brave