Thread: Results, rumours and inuendo...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It is unfortunate that they didn't pull the heads from the ITB cars- failing to do so always leaves doubts in people's minds. Of course, I know Beran (car 0) expected to be torn down. I built the engine for that car, and for what's it's worth, I was absolutely scrupulous about it being completely legal. In fact, I almost went insane trying to find legal overbore pistons. After qualifying, Beran was so concerned about his speed that he called me to ask if there was ANYTHING that could be illegal in the engine. There isn't.

Again, FWIW, I don't build illegal engines- as some have rightly pointed out- too much hard work and development goes into amatuer racing to cheat. Please don't assume Beran is a "new guy"- he has been racing since the early 1990s- he is fast and so is his car.

As for other issues about (I assume) body work- please do contact Beran about them as I'm sure he will want to fix them.

Sounds like it was a hell of a race.

Regards,

Bob Quindazzi

...too much hard work and development goes into amatuer racing to cheat. ...[/b]
    Very well put, Bob - thanks for that. It's precisely the reason that we'd really hoped - expected - that we'd get poked, prodded, and measured before the trophies got handed out.

In the weeks leading up to the ARRC, Cameron gave in to anxiety and tore the head off to check the compression ratio himself, having trusted the machine shop guy to get the math right with the initial build. It's that important.

I think maybe the way to handle this in the future is to write the paper in advance regardless, then let the stewards tell us if it becomes unnecessary because they intend to look at whatever has been protested...

Kirk

PS - we had similar frustration with the piston issues.