Ron: I agree with John. Trying to listen in on a track frequency would demand too much concnetration, taking away from your driving concentration. I asked Johnny Rutherford one time what he found was the most important factor that made him a successful driver and he said 'focus'.

And even then, there is probably a delay from when the starter displays the green to when the network hears about it. As a starter, I know when the pace car comes in and when I give the green flag. And can tell you that there is a delay between that time and the time a call goes out over the net.

John's suggestion about finding the frequency of another team (of course in a different class) is probably the best suggestion, as their call will be much quicker. You will just have to tune out their conversation for the rest of the race.

The question about whether you can pass after the green is dropped but the corner workers have not dropped their double yellow can be argued both ways. I agree with John that it is a hard thing to do, but I can see some type A drivers jumping on the verbal que.

From my own perspective, I tried FRS radios with VOX. But I found that the noise in the car kept my mike open so I could not hear my crew. I might try again next year with just pit to car. Should work ok.

KC8ULQ