Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Website development software

Dave-

I created my site with Director 8. Basically writting a movie script with each page being a "Frame". In the design stages you actual make the "movie" pause and skip frames to navigate the website depending where on the screen you click the mouse, and/or what action the user makes such as a keystroke. It sounds complicated but it is easy to learn. If you are interested in that software let me know.

As for my advice... You can spend hours and hours designing a website only to want to change one small thing.... then you need to change every single page to maintain a "common look" thoughout the site. Spend a lot of time creating one page exactly how you want it so that you have a base to work from. Also draw out on paper a map of what you would like the site to look like, and what should be linked to what.

Raymond "Someday I will get the new RST webiste rolled out... seems to get updated once every year or one and a half years" Blethen

PS: Hope all is well, I lost all my contacts when my phone flew out the window in a off roading excursion... PM me sometime with contact info!!!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Dave,

If you are already on a Mac, build a simple, clean site in iWeb. It's easy drag and drop into stylish templates. This business site was built in iWeb.

http://www.marcovitchpr.ca/Marcovitc...PR%20Home.html
    Joe Camilleri
    HP Scirocco
    Check out the VW Club Racers Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=309326556818

Don't waste much time with the the meta tags when you're working on the optimization....

Jarrod
    [/b]
    Doo what? Its one of the most important things to do to your website to optimize for SEO.

There are LOT of good websites and resources out there for SEO optimization, just a quick search in Google offers up many ideas to help your site.

-Tom
    lead web developer for webmd.com
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

The iweb software and websites it can produce look pretty cool. Based on various reviews, it sounds like it maybe a bit challenging for me to upload it to my hosting service at GoDaddy?

Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Doo what? Its one of the most important things to do to your website to optimize for SEO.

There are LOT of good websites and resources out there for SEO optimization, just a quick search in Google offers up many ideas to help your site.

-Tom
    lead web developer for webmd.com
    [/b]
    Betcha if you took out all of your meta tags you'd still show up at the top of the lists.

Seriously, I would put Meta Keywords on the bottom of the list of "things to do to optimize a website".

Dave, put relevant content on the site and you'll be in good shape. http://www.highrankings.com/articles.htm is a good place to start reading.

Jarrod
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

The iweb software and websites it can produce look pretty cool. Based on various reviews, it sounds like it maybe a bit challenging for me to upload it to my hosting service at GoDaddy?
    [/b]

Not too tough.

When you finish your site chose to publish to a folder on your hard drive instead of .Mac. Then you transfer the folder to your web host using an FTP program like Fetch.

Joe Camilleri
    HP Scirocco
    Check out the VW Club Racers Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=309326556818

My book's new website is now up and running. Thank you again Joe for the web software suggestion! I ended up purchasing the upgrade for iLife.

Here it is:
    Dave's New Book Website
    Dave Gran

Dave: Website looks great! Have a great winter.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Dave,

Nice job on the website.
    Good Luck with your Book Sales.

Happy Holidays.

Dave
    Team Jagermeister
    '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10 - ITB NESCCA Enduro Champions

Thanks for the advice and continued support.

I've decided to add some helpful information for novices onto the website. I'm still a but unsure what types to subjects would be of value to people without putting my entire book online. LOL Thus far I've added check lists of items to bring to an autocross, HPDE, kill switch installation guide, and flag meanings. I figured I should also add information about what an autocross / Solo event is as well as HPDEs.

During the upload process, my entire site crashed and I received several error messages. Since I'm learning as I go with this entire gig, it was quite stressful. Gee, that reminds me of building my racecar. Yup, much of the same emotions have been felt throughout the process.
    Dave Gran