Thread: SCCA abandons governance by rules

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As I sated above, this rule change does affect the finishing order for both events in question. That change in finishing order affects the distribution of points from those two events, which ultimately changes the final standings for the season. There is a prize fund to be distributed based on the final standings.

I think you're taking a far too broad view of "forces beyond their control". The rule in question has been on the books for several years. The fact is several cars violated that rule and were not penalized as required.

I should also point out that in this case it was not the SOM's that made the rule change, it was the ECR committee. They are given no authority to change the supps. They can change the rules for future events, but can make no changes after those rules are included in the supps for any specific event.

Furthermore, as you're aware, there was a protest. Per series guidelines, that protest was reviewed by the Operating Steward. That protest was upheld, requiring the violators to be penalized. It was after that verdict that the committee rewrote the rule.

Per series guidelines, that protest was reviewed by the Operating Steward. That protest was upheld, requiring the violators to be penalized. It was after that verdict that the committee rewrote the rule.
    [/b]
    OK...I'm more confused now. Was it an "official" SCCA protest, following "official" SCCA procedures ? If so, the Operating Steward has nothing to do with it. He might get handed a Protest form, but all he does then is notify T&S to hold results and hand the protest to the Chairman of the SOMs, who are responsible for adjudicating it. Operating Steward...or Chief Steward...doesn't get to decide this one.

Not trying to quibble...just trying to follow the bouncing ball on this one. Sounds like a bunch of people wandered off the reservation while handling this issue.

(Why am I curious ? On my license, right below "Nat. Competition", it also says "Steward", and some of the actions described in this don't fit any procedures that I know of)