I'm not sure how to interpret this. If the field fills, it fills. With paying renters, I can't show up being the 56th car, just assuming someone will drop out.[/b]
Seemed clear to me...

"For those concerned about getting an entry - it takes several days for the event to fill and the event has yet to start the full compliment of 55 cars. If you want to run, then plan on running even if the field fills."

Teams don't show up or destroy their car during the test day every year. Based on history, simply being present will get you into the race - though, as in all things, there is some risk.

55 doesn't mean the field is filled. It means the Region stops accepting "entries" and begins accepting "wait listers." A full field would be 55 cars taking the green. Shoot, the Region even KNOWS ahead of time that some of these cars are not going to show - usually the weekend prior.

I fail to see how it would matter whether it is a rental car or a driver owned car. In the case of the rental, as long as those paying the freight are aware that they not an official entrant, may not actually compete in the event, and are not getting a full refund of their rental fee if they don't make the race, everyone has full information. If they sign, it's their tough luck if all 55 entrants appear. They knew the risks.

I suppose the Region could be anal and not let someone run, but I doubt it. A phone call the week prior to the event would solve that.