As someone who spends more time working corners than racing, I'm apalled at the idea of charging folks to volunteer. [/b]
I too am appalled. I realize there is "some" justification in charging in order to obtain insurance coverage on workers as not all events are "spectator" events.

I have worked 2 races and a hillclimb this year. plus a test day. I stood in the rain on Saturday at Barber and broiled in the sun Sunday. In return I received a lunch and some $$$ but not nearly enough to cover my fuel and hotel bill for the weekend as it is a 2 hour drive to the track.

Worked the Labor day race at Nashville plus the test day. They covered my room for one night as I drove home after the test day (another two hour trip). My expenses were still not covered but so what, I had fun and got to see some good close racing. Long ago (circa 1975) I worked several races at RA as a "quack." I was damn glad to get anything in the way of compensation. I still had fun and got to see some incredible racing, especially the IMSA races.

I don't want to sound like a whiner, but as a racer I see the need for workers. I don't get to go play and have fun if there are not workers. This policy effectively cuts off the ability to use volunteer, NON-member workers as a means of recruitment. Heck, we have a couple of people in our region that hold National licenses in F & C and as a scrutineer. Neither of them race these days!

The bottom line to this question is why has it been decreed that we must charge $5.00 for temporary memberships when in the past we could sign someone up for a temporary 90 membership that would provide them insurance coverage. Now we MUST send in the $ to national. Don't tell me it is just for the insurance coverage as that is just an attempt to justify the fee.

The second question is what is being done to recruit/retain/compensate workers in your region? I am looking for more ways to try and keep our worker pool alive.