Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: November Fastrack

It's a quick read...like.... nothing for us.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Looks like the new ECU rule has disappeared into a black hole. Are they too busy to discuss it or can't decide what to do with it? What's the procedure if they never vote on it? I assume it dies on Jan 1.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Not much to debate in this one... the court of appeals was certainly a fun read though.

This was the first I've heard about the proposed "Formula First" class. Can't say I really know enough about it vs. FV to even form an opinion on that one.
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works

It's a quick read...like.... nothing for us.[/b]
    But...but...but...it's a new Fastrack! It's our duty to argue about something!!!!

Oh, my Lord...another four weeks until the next one...what are we to do...? Oh, and winter's coming, too...I...I...I...I'm not too happy with this situation...I need something to drink...

Not much to debate in this one... the court of appeals was certainly a fun read though.

This was the first I've heard about the proposed "Formula First" class. Can't say I really know enough about it vs. FV for even form an opinion on that one.
    [/b]
    What the HELL do we need more freakin open wheel VW powered cars for? How about we kill half the other open wheel classes before we make any MORE!
    Jeremy Billiel

Looks like the new ECU rule has disappeared into a black hole. Are they too busy to discuss it or can't decide what to do with it? What's the procedure if they never vote on it? I assume it dies on Jan 1. [/b]
    Don't worry about it. It's in process - the BoD votes and the resultant rule (new, old, whatever) gets rammed into the GCR right before print...that's the plan at least.

Andy Bettencourt

Y'all want something to argue about...

<sarcasm, laid on thick>

Because there is no mention of IT in this FasTrack, it clearly shows that we are looked upon as second class citizens. Obviously, Formula cars come first and that&#39;s why they get treatment here. What with the announcement that VWs are the official pace car, there&#39;s no doubt why they are bringing Formula First into the mix.

</sarcasm>
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

What the HELL do we need more freakin open wheel VW powered cars for? How about we kill half the other open wheel classes before we make any MORE!
    [/b]
    SCCA can&#39;t find time to run but 24 national classes at the Runoffs anyway. Why more classes? Is there really a demand for this, while at the same time running other competitive classes away from the Runoffs?
    <_<
    Can you tell I frequent the Prodracing website?
    Dave Webb
    Bare Bones Racing
    '84 VW GTI
    #17 ITB

SCCA can&#39;t find time to run but 24 national classes at the Runoffs anyway. Why more classes? Is there really a demand for this, while at the same time running other competitive classes away from the Runoffs?
    <_<
    Can you tell I frequent the Prodracing website? [/b]
    Ya, I can. Jumping to conclusions before you read the actual text.

set.[/b]
    </div>
    </span>
    Andy Bettencourt

But...but...but...it&#39;s a new Fastrack! It&#39;s our duty to argue about something!!!!

Oh, my Lord...another four weeks until the next one...what are we to do...? Oh, and winter&#39;s coming, too...I...I...I...I&#39;m not too happy with this situation...I need something to drink...
    [/b]
    Calm down Greg, the ARRC is only a few weeks away!
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

FST vs FV vs IT....

If the FST class is in the same run group as FV/FF/F500 in your region how does it impact you? Why would an IT racer care if the FST class grows or not.

Frankly, there is a core group of folks who know a lot about FV, who have had their eye on the trends in that class and are planing for the "evolution" of the class. That was a pun---"evolution" is a FST chassis make. This FST will let those with the desire to evolve without allienating those who wish to remain in FV to their dying day.

In a nutshell, FST is a class with the performance potential somewhere between FV and FST. While the class allows for conversions with many similar parts, I don&#39;t think FV conversions will remain competitive as the FST class grows. It is essential to allow conversion cars to compete/participate in order to grow the class.

Think FV with wider tires (no more 4.5" wheels), disk brakes (instead of drums), rack and pinion steering (instead of the old steering box), restricted 1600 (instead of a 1200--parts availability) the 1200 hasn&#39;t been produced in more than 40 years.

I recently sold my FV because I wanted something different. I am building a FProd car and strongly considered FST--however, I didn&#39;t because a) I have absolutely zero desire to race with SCCA and I don&#39;t have much desire to race in a class of 3--that is a catch22 because the class won&#39;t grow as long as people like me are waiting on the sidelines to see if it grows.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Daryl DeArman

But...but...but...it&#39;s a new Fastrack! It&#39;s our duty to argue about something!!!!
    [/b]
    Rabble rabble rabble!

Harumph.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

How freaky. I just mentioned somewhere just this last week (might have been at the Sandbox rather than here) that some friends and I came up with a sports racer class based on the Formula Vee, and lo and behold it appears as Formula First - albeit minus the bodywork.

I don&#39;t know about the wisdom of building race cars on 40-year-old technology but put bodywork on them, get 40 of your closest buddies to do the same thing, and you might have something there.

K

I don&#39;t know about the wisdom of building race cars on 40-year-old technology but put bodywork on them, get 40 of your closest buddies to do the same thing, and you might have something there.

K
    [/quote]

and we could call it Spec Racer...

Bob Clifton
    #05 ITB Dodge Daytona

Don&#39;t worry about it. It&#39;s in process - the BoD votes and the resultant rule (new, old, whatever) gets rammed into the GCR right before print...that&#39;s the plan at least.
    [/b]

Andy...not trying to be a jerk here....but, what is the logic behind the approach. This has been on the table for a while and hasn&#39;t had any official ruling. Why wait till the last minute to stuff it into the GCR. It seems &#39;we&#39;ve&#39; got it all figured out, it&#39;s just the formality of the vote. I think the approach is less than user friendly, and the lack of an "official stamp" is certainly holding things up for many. I wonder if the MOTEC in a box rule of yore took this long [rhetorical]. I&#39;m baffled...........

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

I don&#39;t know about the wisdom of building race cars on 40-year-old technology...[/b]
    But they&#39;d be a whole lot newer than any small-bore Prod grid.

There is a whole crap-load of Formula First cars club-racing in Canada. The snow melts in June and it starts snowing again in August...they&#39;re probably just looking for a warmer place to race.

Y&#39;all want something to argue about...

<sarcasm, laid on thick>

Because there is no mention of IT in this FasTrack, it clearly shows that we are looked upon as second class citizens. Obviously, Formula cars come first and that&#39;s why they get treatment here. What with the announcement that VWs are the official pace car, there&#39;s no doubt why they are bringing Formula First into the mix.

</sarcasm>
    [/b]

I think I hear the black helicopters in the distance, all powered by heavily cammed rotary motors installed in ITB Shelbys and manned by pilots wearing Hans devices.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Well, I think SCCA missed one aspect of this FST-replaces-FV strategy: there&#39;s no date certain for completion of the process.

This could be easily remedied. Set a date on which all remaining FV&#39;s must be brought to a cow pasture in Kansas, then all the remaining FV guys spend two days drinking together. At the conclusion of the weekend, all the FV&#39;s would be piled together and torched. They could call it Burning V.

Potential solution for other classes as well?

(See what happens when there&#39;s no IT content in the FasTrack)
    Lea Williams, Santa Fe, NM - ITA '94 Miata
    Champion, 2007-2008, SCCA Rocky Mtn Div ITA

(See what happens when there&#39;s no IT content in the FasTrack)
    [/b]
    The bog wants IT content! The bog wants IT content! The bog wants IT content!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com