Jeff, sorry to hear of your difficulties!

I used (and have for sale, check the classifieds) a 1992 K2500 Suburban (454, 4WD) for the last ten years with great results, so much so that I bought a '07 2500 6.0 Suburban (LT3, 4WD) three weeks ago to "upgrade."

Gas mileage was never a winner, but it still had the TH400, so I have driven it for 87K miles with NO problems.

New Burb is AWESOME! Sweet inside and out. 17.5-18 mpg @ 70 mph by itself going to the Speedway Club in Charlotte and back, no sweat. Towing? Well, that's another matter, more like 8-9 mpg. NO problems in the first 2200 miles. Tows great. LOVE the "Tow Mode."

BIG difference between the 1500 and 2500 "new" generation Burbs. Leaf spring and torsion bars instead of springs and ULA. Mine rides firm, but not jarring. Wish I could pimp it out with 20" wheels like on the 1500, but that's ok, rather spend the money on the race car.

As an aside, I know a few folks that have had bad experiences towing 24' and 26' boxes with the Tundra. Like up on a guardrail on the mountain and in the median. Everyone needs more tow vehicle than they think...